Friday, August 22, 2008

Just When You Thought Gwen Liking the Bath was as Shocking as This Blog Could Get

For the last three nights, Gwen has gone to sleep in her crib, then I bring her into bed with me when she wakes up, where she spends the rest of the night.

Well, to be honest, that is the usual arrangement, with one crucial difference: prior to this week, the wake-up and subsequent co-sleeping happened at 4am. Nowadays, it's happening sometime between 11pm and 2am.

The co-sleeping has been somewhat ... well .. awful. Chris has been moving to the couch around the time Gwen moves into our bed. Gwen has been doing way too little sleeping and way, WAY more nursing than usual. Which means less sleep for me, and incredibly sore nipples (which may or may not be aggravated by thrush, as well).

But there has been one upside. Apparently, sleeping all night with a baby who must have a nipple inside her mouth at all times, while bad for one's back, hips, and sleep deprivation, has a great effect on one's milk supply.

Yesterday I found myself genuinely engorged no fewer than three times. Usually that only happens first thing in the morning (following nights when Gwen sleeps for more than four hours at a time, that is). I actually got out of bed at 11pm to go pump, not wanting my breasts to receive any messages that the milk wasn't needed.

I'm still kind of stunned, but I want this to continue. I wonder if there's any way to keep the supply up but still get myself some decent sleep?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails