Wednesday, November 28, 2007

100 things about me

Definitely a better post than yesterday's (it wouldn't take much) but also not terribly pregnancy-related. I've seen this on other blogger's info pages and decided I wanted to create my own. It took a long time because I was pretty picky about what got included and what didn't, and also about making each item interesting and worth reading. I wonder if I succeeded? (Don't answer that.)

I fail to see the appeal of Harry Potter.
I really don't want you to explain it to me.
I very much dislike The Simpsons.
I think JAWS is the greatest movie ever made.
I will tell you why if you have a couple hours to spare.
I once opened for Trooper.
I once walked (yes, you can do that) a marathon in Rome.
I can't stand the music of Bruce Springsteen.
Though I am a child of the 80s, I missed most of the great pop culture stuff due to not having a TV.
Due to this I have excellent pop culture osmosis, and often know more about music/TV shows/movies I haven't heard or seen than many people who have.
I am about as OCD as you can be without ever having been diagnosed with OCD.
I once lost fifty pounds, and have kept about 90% of it off (until pregnancy).
I have problems with binge eating. I never had these problems when I weighed 200+ pounds.
I am not good at keeping in touch with faraway friends.
I have never(yet) owned a dog.
I love ice cream, and always will.
I believe that there is value in every life experience, though we are often unaware of what it is.
I got married at Butterfly World.
My favourite robot is Marvin from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
I love the English language and hate to see it violated.
I despise being lied to.
I hold ridiculous grudges against businesses/services/corporations.
I will forgive my friends nearly anything.
However, I write off acquaintances pretty easily.
That doesn't mean I despise them, it just means I stop caring.
I have an ex-husband.
At the age of 31, I paid a lot of money to legally change my first name. I have no intention of telling my mother.
I have a lifelong hate-hate relationship with my hair. If I had a prettier face, I'd shave it off.
It kind of irks me that it matters how pretty my face and hair are.
I don't wear makeup; not because I'm a feminist, but because I don't know how.
Also, I can't afford it and I don't really want to spend the time and energy.
I own a house.
I have a wonderful husband, who sometimes makes me crazy but most often makes me very very happy.
I have a younger sister whom I completely adore. She drives me crazy sometimes too.
I am a distance education student at Athabasca University.
I want to have a child.
I am a talented singer.
I like to take photographs of things that amuse me.
I don't usually enjoy doing things unless I am good at them.
I define my self-worth through my sense of accomplishment.
I am an impatient person. My dad used to say I had "all the patience of a boiling teakettle." He's right.
I am glad I'm a woman.
I am a Christian.
I am a feminist.
I am an arts person, and definitely not a science person.
I love to read. I think people who don't read are scary.
I am good at reading out loud.
I get uncomfortable at parties. I prefer more honest and intimate gatherings.
I will tell you pretty much anything you want to know about me - if you ask.
The best way to my heart is through my funny bone.
I have always known how to spell.
I don't like talking on the phone in front of other people. I don't know why.
My parents sent me to a psychiatrist when I was little. I have never asked them why - or why they stopped.
I think everyone in the world could benefit from some good counselling. It should be as accessible and de-stigmatized as massage or dentistry.
I don't have any secrets to send PostSecret, because I talk too much.
My best friend is a man. And he's not my husband.
I haven't slept with him, either.
I am a homebody.
I think people who complain that it's way past the year 2000 and we don't have any flying cars deserve a smack upside the head.
I love stand-up comedy.
I often offend people without meaning to.
I don't drink or smoke, and never have.
I have a strong aversion to the non-word "hubby".
I have just as strong an affection for actual sentences that contain juxtaposed opposites, such as "we were out in the garage" or "we're off on our vacation".
I have a rage reaction to misquoted idioms such as "for all intensive purposes" and "once and a while".
Practical jokes and gags make me very uncomfortable.
If I make a mistake while typing and don't notice it until I've typed a few more words, I won't use the mouse to selectively correct it. Instead, I use the backspace key and delete all the correct words back to the mistake.
I never get the fitted sheet aligned right on the first try.
I only use my left ear when talking on the phone.
I don't understand the need to call things other than what they are (Crappy Tire, compu-tor, etc.)
I believe that lifelong learning is the closest thing I've found to "the meaning of life".
I am scared of those weird inflatable flappity people they use to advertise sales at sports stores.
I give blood as often as possible.
I believe in vaccinations, and get my flu shot every year.
I once yelled at someone from the Health Authority because they wouldn't tell me where to get my flu shot.
Two weeks later, I had a job with the Health Authority.
I am planning to do another marathon.
I often parse made-up compound words incorrectly, like the SmartCar fortwo which I thought meant Fort Wo.
I get along a lot better with my dad than with my mom.
I lived in one house for my entire childhood until I moved out when I was 20.
My parents still live there.
My room is now a computer/sewing room.
I remember when we only had to dial 5 numbers on the phone.
I remember having a "party line".
I remember when modems had to be dialed, too.
I remember when you had to request a song on the radio instead of downloading it.
I remember when Michael Jackson was black.
I remember top-loading VCRs.
I think using the word "Huh?" makes even the most intelligent person sound like a drooling inbred.
I believe in global warming, and it scares me.
I believe in the power of prayer.
I believe in Santa Claus.
I think tasers should be outlawed.
I think children's rights should be revisited.
I am getting more open-minded the older I get.
I believe in way, way more than one right way to live.
I believe in the power of attitude.
I can't believe it took me 4 months to come up with this list.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails