Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hello, Hormones

Almost five weeks along now. Looking back at my journal entries from last time, I learn that during this week (4-5) my appetite returned, my sex drive disappeared, my breasts continued to be sore, and morning sickness - nausea, if not vomiting - began.

That is pretty much where I'm at right now. My appetite finally returned yesterday around 11am, when I felt the first hunger pang in almost a full week. I celebrated with grapes. Later, I ate the veggies I'd brought from home, and later still, I had to leave work early (no matter, as no one else was in the office) as the hunger pangs finally ended their week-long embargo on lunch and I had to head home for some lasagne.

My breasts, for their part, are sore like crazy. I recounted to Chris last night that early last week, before I'd taken the test, I took my bra off one afternoon while getting changed and my breasts reacted with what can only be called violence. They hurt so badly, and so suddenly, that I really should have known. Even in the first pregnancy they were not this tender. I'm already finding it uncomfortable to sleep naked, and have taken instead to wearing a sports bra to bed. So unusual for me.

The biggest change in the past few days has been the arrival of the hormones, as evidenced by the appearance of Crazy Laura. Last night I lay in bed for over 30 minutes steaming and seething, too angry to sleep. Angry enough that if someone had offered me a wall to punch or an important document to destroy, I'd be eager to comply. It was quite unpleasant to say the least, and I can't imagine how much I was annoying Chris. It seems his technique for dealing with pregnancy hormones is "avoid wife at all costs", which just annoys me more, because I really feel like I want to talk to him and work through some of the stuff that's upsetting me, and he's only around for mealtimes (during which he wants to watch a movie and/or read a book) and bed.

This morning the anger has subsided (for now), but I am wary that it will return. According to my previous journal entries, the hormone-rages peaked at between 5 and 6 weeks, so we've got a ways to go before we're over the hump.

In other news, today is the day (according to pregnancy.org) that the blastocyst becomes an embryo. So, that's pretty cool. If only because "embryonic" is a much cooler word than "blastocystic".

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails